Immigration Law Associates, PC

Immigration Benefits Arrive for Same-sex Couples … But Only If You’re a Diplomat

Posted on by

Same-sex Marriage

“There’s no getting around a bar on U.S. immigration benefits for same-sex couples – unless you’re a diplomat.”

The State Department sent a cable this month to personnel worldwide informing U.S. citizen employees about a new major exception: if they’re posted to the States, their foreign same-sex partners can get a special visa to live and work here legally. The program quietly went into effect Feb. 9, providing the temporary J-1 visa that commonly goes to visiting scholars or au pairs, a State Department official confirmed Tuesday.” N.Y. Daily News, Feb. 23, 2011.

Filed under: dc immigration law, immigration law dc, same sex marriage, Visa